Natural Remedies For Heartburn : Heartburn is when the acid from your stomach goes back up to your esophagus. This later results in a feeling of burning sensation right under your breastbone and throat. It is a very common complaint in adults aged 35 and above and is more of a symptom than a disease. In most cases, doctors would suggest for a lifestyle change first before considering any medications. Hence, we at HNBT have decided to unlock some of the best home remedies for heartburn that really work. Before moving on to the remedies, allow us to first reveal to you heartburn symptoms.
So what does it feel like? Here are few symptoms to explain the condition :
- Burning pain under the breastbone
- Sour taste at the back of throat
- Sometimes ulcers ( in stomach throat)
Natural Home Remedies For Heartburn
What to take for heartburn? Here are few natural ingredients that can provide immediate relief to the burning sensation triggered by it:
Water is at it, again. Drinking water will help wash the acid down your esophagus. Hence, drink a glass of water each time you feel the burning sensation coming in.
2. Baking soda
A teaspoon full of baking soda will help relieve your reflux and make you feel much better. Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water. Drink this mixture each time needed.
Must read : How To Get Rid Of Roaches?
3. Chew gum
A study conducted by the Journal Of Dental Research proved that chewing a piece of sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after a meal has relieved symptoms of heartburn. This works because the gland of your saliva becomes stimulated when you chew on a gum, thereby increasing the saliva flow. The saliva helps wash down the acid down your throat.
Also read : How To Get Rid Of Bad Breathe?
4. Aloe juice
Aloe is not only effective in soothing burns and make the skin glow, but also does a lot of favor in relieving heartburns. Just take ½ cup of fresh aloe juice before meals.
Must read : How To Get Rid Of Dark Underarms?
5. Apple cider vinegar ( ACV)
ACV, the good acid, can also be effective in treating this condition. Mix a tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water. You may add some honey for taste. Take this each time you feel the burn under your throat for immediate relief.
Also read : 10 Easy Homemade Foot Scrub And Soaks
6. Ginger tea
Ginger acts as an acid buffer. Make your very own homemade ginger tea by simmering slices of ginger in two cups of water. Strain this into a glass and drink before meals. You may also add some honey for taste.
Must read : Amazing Health Benefits Of Honey
This is an alkalizing agent that can help neutralize the acid from your stomach. Take a spoonful of yellow mustard straight for immediate relief. You may also take it with a slice of bread.
Also read : How To Get Rid Of Wrinkles?
Almonds have been said to improve symptoms in women especially. Just munch on 5 to 7 almond directly after your meals. It will provide immediate relief.
Must read : How To Get Rid Of Dark Circles Under Eyes?
9. Chamomile Tea
You can use either an instant chamomile tea, or make your own. To make a homemade chamomile tea, boil a cup of water with a teaspoon of dried chamomile petals. Let this boil for a couple of minutes. Add in ½ teaspoon of lemon juice and some honey for taste. Stir well, strain, and drink.
Also read : How To Get Rid Of Dandruff?
10. Bananas/ apples / papayas
They are great source of natural antacids that act as a buffer to the acid reflux. Eat a banana each time after a meal and not only will you notice a reduce in the heartburn, but also prevent its comeback at the same time. You may also eat apples and papaya, as they contain the same properties as bananas.
Must read : How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks?
Do’s For Heartburn
- Do drink plenty of water. This will wash the acid down, and also help dilute the acid in your stomach. Hence, drink more water.
- Do eat in smaller portions, but more frequently. This is because larger meals are said to expand your stomach, which later increases the pressure causing the acid to go up the esophagus. So it is important that you eat smaller meals.
- Do wait 2-3 hours after a meal to go to the bed. Laying down immediately after eating will cause the acid to slow back up the esophagus and result in a burning sensation. Hence, make sure to eat 2-3 hours earlier before going to bed.
Also read : How To Get Rid Of Body Odor?
Don’ts For Heartburn
- Don’t eat foods that cause heartburn. Foods that cause i are : peppermint, citrus fruits, citrus drinks, chocolates, caffeinated beverages, alcohol, tomatoes and spicy foods.
- Don’t chin down while you sleep. It is advisable for you to keep your head elevated about 6 inches away when you are sleeping. This is to avoid the acid from flowing back up through your esophagus.
- Don’t smoke. Did you know that smoking increases the production of stomach acid? So, quit smoking too. It is injurious to health anyway.
Must read : How To Treat And Prevent Sunburn?
That is all the remedies for a heartburn that we know. Should your heartburn recur frequently, immediately seek for a medical consultation. If there are any other home remedies for heartburn that you know, do not hesitate to share them with HNBT. After all, sharing is caring!