Home Remedies for Oral Thrush: Oral thrush is a commonly occurring problem across common gentry – be it men, women, kids, infants or the older generation. Oral thrush is known as Candidiasis owing to the yeast named Candida, which excessive growth that causes infection. A small amount of this fungus is initially found in parts of our body, including the mouth. However, the problem arises when the bacteria grows way out of proportion, earning it the reputation of an infection.
Oral thrush usually occurs as a result of certain triggers which may include infancy (yeah, as simple as being born!), pregnancy, certain medications, dentures, poor oral hygiene, smoking, weakened the immune system, stress and so on.
As mentioned earlier, the bacteria can be present in any parts of the body. But in this article today, we will mainly discuss about the infestation of candida fungus in the mouth – known as oral thrush.
Symptoms of Oral Thrush
- White patches on the inside of the mouth including the inner cheek, throat, palate, larynx, tongue, etc.
- Oral thrush can also cause mild to moderate pain inside the mouth.
- Redness inside the oral cavity
- Loss of taste, foul smell
- Plague deposits that can be wiped off
- Food and even saliva becomes difficult to swallow, or gets stuck in the throat or chest
- Cracks at the corners of the mouth
10 Best Home Remedies for Oral Thrush Treatment
Salt is termed as highly effective when dealing with oral thrush, as it kills off any active bacteria and makes the environment within the mouth completely unfavorable for the fungus to thrive in.
- Mix 1 tsp of salt in a cup of warm water. Use this mix as a gargle for several times a day to keep oral thrush at bay.
- Alternatively, you can also take some salt and rub it in and over your mouth, and allow it to soak for a few minutes. You may eventually swallow it or spit it out.
Also read: Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
2. Apple cider vinegar
ACV is effective in curbing the growth of the candida fungus as it has good bacteria that are made available to your gut, thus minimizing harmful bacteria which works as food for candida.
In fact, a study conducted in 2014 proved that ACV is highly effective in the eradication of the candida fungus.
- Add 1 tsp of salt in 4 tsp of raw apple cider vinegar and use this as a mouth rinse. Rinse your mouth 4-7 times a day with this rinse until you see improvement. Once you manage to get rid of the thrush, reduce the rinsing to twice a day.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor?
3. Black Walnut Bark
Black walnut tree’s bark is considered to be very rich in tannin, which is laden with antifungal and astringent properties. It also contains juglone, which has intense antibiotic properties.
Capsules consisting of black walnut bark are easily available in the market. Use them as per instructed in the labels. However, should you find access to actual black walnut bark, use some to chew and swish the juices in and around your mouth till the bark softens and becomes tasteless. This is proven to work faster than the capsules do.
Also read: Home Remedies for UTI
Cinnamon’s antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic properties make it an effective remedy for getting rid of oral thrush as it helps in controlling the growth of the yeast and prevents the oral thrush from being anything but ineffective.
Just increase the consumption of cinnamon on a daily basis, be it in your tea, yogurt, cinnamon rolls or buns or any other fun and healthy alternatives you can find.
Must read: How to Get Rid of Gingivitis?
Arbutin, a component in cranberries is equally great to get rid of thrush. This effective component kills candida, thus keeping the mouth yeast-free.
- Simply have some cranberries as it is, or in the form of fresh or ready made juice
- You may consume cranberry supplement too, as per the directions on the label
Also read: How to Get Rid of Fever Blisters?
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is well known for its antifungal and antimicrobial properties, making it an excellent remedy to get rid of oral thrush. If this does not convince you, oregano oil contains “arbutin” too. The same component found in cranberries that are responsible for killing candida.
- Combine 2 tbsp of olive oil with 5-6 drops of oregano oil and store it in a container. Take a few dabs of this oil and rub it on the insides of your mouth a few times a day. Let the oil stay in the mouth for about 6 – 7 hours before you rinse or eat, to maximize its effect on the thrush.
- Take about a glass of water and add 5 – 6 drops of oregano oil into it. Gargle with this mix a few times a day.
Must read: Top 10 Home Remedies for Geographic Tongue
7. Sodium Bi-carbonate or Baking Soda
If you are a keen practitioner of natural remedies, you probably already know how versatile baking soda can be, from floor cleaning to eliminating oily skin- you name it, baking soda fixes it. Apparently, sodium bicarbonate is also proven to be effective in treating oral thrush, according to a study published in 2009, as it neutralizes the pH level of the mouth.
- Take about 2 tsp of baking soda and water just enough to make a paste. Use a cotton ball to apply the paste inside your mouth. Wait for 10 – 15 minutes (or longer, if you can) before you rinse your mouth. You may repeat this several times a day for best results.
Also read: Home Remedies for Abscessed Tooth
8. Coconut Oil
Certain fatty acids like capric acid, caprylic, and lauric present in coconut oil may also help to get rid of oral thrush, as researches suggest that these medium-chained fatty acids contain antimicrobial properties. These are also effective with chains of candida and other antifungals that are difficult to combat.
- Begin using coconut oil as a cooking medium in your everyday meals and notice a drastic difference in the development pattern of oral thrush
- As an alternative, you may apply some coconut oil inside the mouth and allow it stay for as long as you can. You may or may not choose to rinse as coconut oil is perfectly safe to be consumed orally.
Must read: Home Remedies for Toothache
Garlic is a no stranger in all books of home remedies. It is no surprise that garlic can be used to get rid of oral thrush too. After all, its anti-fungal properties kills many types of bacteria, including the one that causes oral thrush.
- Frequent consumption of garlic in prepared food items naturally treats oral thrush.
- Take a clove of raw garlic and chew it, slowly swallowing its juices.
- Otherwise, you could apply garlic oil on the insides of your mouth a few times a day.
Also read: How to Get Rid of Canker Sores Fast?
10. Yogurt or buttermilk
Yogurt or buttermilk contains culture that makes it absolutely inhabitable for the candida fungus to live in the mouth. It is claimed to be one of the most effective remedies and results may begin to show in as good as two days.
- Simply consume yogurt or buttermilk twice a day.
- Add some salt to it enhance the antimicrobial properties of Yogurt and buttermilk.
Must read: How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath?
11. Green Tea
The antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of green tea are also highly effective against eradication of oral thrush.
Throw some washed green tea leaves into a pot of boiling water. Boil this till the water reduces to half, and the tea is of favorable color. Consume the fresh tea 3 – 4 times a day to see a visible reduction in the symptoms of oral thrush.
Also read: How to Heal Mouth Ulcers?
12. Good Oral Hygiene
Apart from practicing other remedies, it is highly crucial that you maintain a good oral hygiene. Maintaining oral health includes:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice a day
- Gargling and rinsing your mouth every time you finish eating a snack or a meal or anything sweet
- Using a mouthwash at least 2 – 4 times a day
- Avoid foods that could possibly trigger oral thrush such as alcohol, food with fungus – like breads, dairy products (except yogurt and buttermilk), sugary foods, etc
- Change your toothbrush every 3 – 6 months, depending on how flared its bristles get.
Simple steps towards better oral hygiene can help us keep the Candida fungus at bay. The best part of all, these remedies are simple, economical and almost effortless, as most items are easily available at home. Do seek medical advice before starting on any supplements or remedies, to ensure you are not allergic to them.
Let us know which of these home remedies for oral thrush worked out the best for you!