How To Get Rid of Boils? : Boils when unattended to, can turn into a nightmare! Painful boils have even been quoted in the Holy Bible. It is said that boils were one the ten plagues that were used to convince and coax the Egyptians to treat Israelites with respect and let them leave.
Yes, boils can be unsightly and painful. The good news, however, is that although they look and feel rather awful, they are quite harmless! If you are on the lookout for details and remedies on how to treat boils, simply read on.
Before we go any further and let you enter into our secret list of home remedies for boils, allow us to first debunk myths related to these furuncles.
Boils, what exactly are they?
Boils that are also known as furuncles are caused by a bacterial infection. It generally appears as a result of a staph infection in our hair follicles. The bacteria tend to get an open door invitation when the follicle is blocked due to the application of ointments and lotions. Even irritation and clothing rubbing against the skin, can at times trigger an infection and cause boils. Studies suggest that men are more prone to get boils compared to women.
Where do they appear?
Boils can happen to anyone and just about any part of the body with hair follicles. The most common sites are the face, inner thighs, scalp, underarms, and groin. They tend to vary in size ranging from a small lump that is the size of a pimple to painful lumps of about half inch in diameter.
In some cases, you can be afflicted with a cluster of these boils that is known as a carbuncle in the medical circle. This can surface at the back of the thigh or even the nape of your neck. It is a lot more serious and severe than regular boils and is often accompanied with by chills, fever, and fatigue! You may notice a whitish and bloody discharge from these boils, which will need immediate medical attention.
If you are afflicted with a bout of boils, remember that it can take up to two weeks to heal. During these two weeks, the boil will grow, filled with pus, and finally burst.+
Today, we present to you a bunch of tried and tested remedies. Some of them are as old as the ones used by the Egyptian doctors who found themselves dealing with an epidemic of boils.
Home Remedies for Boils – Remedies off your Kitchen Rack
1. Cornmeal to the Rescue: Did you know that the Aztecs were very resourceful. They had a remedy for just about every ailment. And, yes, they had one for boils too! This nomadic tribe that dominated most of Mesoamerica between the 14th and 16th century, pioneered a cornmeal remedy that works like a charm.
To recreate this remedy, all you need is some powdered corn flour.
- Put a large cup of water to boil.
- Once the water begins to boil, throw in a fistful of cornmeal to make a thick paste.
- Once the paste has cooled, apply it to the affected area and bind it up with a clean washcloth.
- Repeat this once in two hours until you see the boils come to a head and drain.
- Though corn meal does not have any medicinal properties, it is highly absorptive by nature and thus acts as a potent remedy in treating boils.
Also read : How To Get Rid of Razor Burns?
2. The Jelly Jar Trick– Cupping a boil, may sound painful, but it does work! Applying suction to a boil, has been one of the most common methods of treating boils since time immemorial.
All you need is a cup and a pair of tongs.
- Boil a small sized cup in a cauldron of water.
- Use a pair of tongs to pull the cup out after a few minutes.
- Allow for the cup to cool just a tad bit.
- Now place the cup over the boil and hold it down using your palm.
- As the cup cools over the boil afflicted area; suction is created and boils will drain.
- Blot using sterilized cotton wool, and wash the area clean with an antiseptic.
Remember that the cup should be neither too hot nor too cool. A cup that has cooled will cause no suction, and a cup too hot may burn your skin.
Must read : Home Remedies for Chicken Skin
3. The Nutmeg Magic– This is an oral home remedy that works from within to heal the boils and speed up the recovery time. Grind and store some nutmeg. Stir about half a teaspoon of the powder in a mug of hot water and drink just before bedtime. This spice has the ability to naturally stimulate blood circulation in the body. This in turn, helps the body fight against the infection!
Also read : How To Get Rid of Cradle Cap?
4. Kalonji Powder– Boils can be a traumatizing and can leave you writhing in pain. As tempted as you may be, ditch the Asprin and reach out for some black seeds instead. The medicinal properties of Kalonji will help relieve your pain and treat the boils in a more natural and safe manner.
- Grind a fistful of the seeds with a little water. Apply the paste to the affected area.
If you find grinding messy and time-consuming, simply apply some black seed oil to the boils. You can also add half a teaspoon of black seed oil to your cup of Joe and drink the mixture at least twice a day.
Must read : How To Get Rid of Cystic Acne?
5. Turmeric Concoction – This is a herb that needs no introduction whatsoever. Used to treat myriad skin ailments since the men walked the earth, turmeric can be put to use in curing painful large boils. It has anti-inflammatory properties and also is a natural blood purifier and thus can be helpful in relieving pain and healing the boils naturally. Most naturopaths, homeopaths, and even general physicians will vouch for this remedy.
If you are convinced about the potency of turmeric in healing ghastly boils, put together some milk, water and turmeric, and voila you have a boil remedy ready!
- Boil a teaspoon of freshly ground turmeric in a cup of milk or water. Simply, drink this 3-4 times a day and watch your boils disappear.
- If you want to quicken the healing process. In addition to drinking the concoction, you may also apply a paste of ginger and turmeric twice a day.
Also read : 11 Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
6. Cumin Seasoning– A simple cumin seeds seasoning, can spice up even the most bland dishes. This very spice can also aid in the treatment of boils. Not convinced? Try it and you will be thanking us for the suggestion.
- Powder some cumin in a spice grinder.
- Add some water to the freshly ground powder and mix to form a consistent paste.
- Apply the paste to the boils and let it dry.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Within a few applications of this natural remedy, you will see the boils beginning to drain. Cumin seeds also help in reducing inflammation and alleviating pain.
Must read : How to Get Rid of Double Chin?
Remedies for Boils from your Refrigerator
7. Bread Poultice– There is no better breakfast than a filling sandwich loaded with butter, cheese and veggies! And, if you have some leftover bread after a hearty meal, you are in luck! Bread is said to work wonders in the home treatment of boils.
- Take a few pieces of leftover bread and soak it in a cup of unsweetened warm milk.
- Place this bread on the boil for at least 3 to 4 minutes.
Repeat this at least twice a day. The bread compress will bring the boil to a head and also reduce the inflammation dramatically. The heat from the bread will also improve blood circulation to the site of infection and quicken the healing process.
Also read : How to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast?
8. Eggs by the Dozens- Eggs like you already know, contains a chockfull of vital nutrients that are needed by the body. They can make your hair smooth and shiny, help you lose weight, and even prevent breast cancer. This healthy breakfast can also help you cure boils. Use the whites of hard boiled eggs have been used to treat boils since the nineteenth century!
- Boil and peel an egg.
- Wet the whites of the egg and apply it directly on the boils.
- Bind the affected area with a clean white cloth.
You may repeat this remedy as many times as you can in a day. Boil the eggs just before you are ready to use.
Must read : How to Get Rid of Moles On Skin?
9. Creamy Milk– Milk is yet another remedy that will not let you down. It will speed up the healing process and give you considerable relief from the pain associated with boils.
- Mix a few teaspoons of milk cream with a few drops of vinegar and a pinch of turmeric. Apply this paste on the boils.
- Alternatively, you could also heat a cup of milk with two teaspoons of salt. As the milk begins heat up, throw in half a cup of crumbled bread pieces. Apply the mixture to the affected area and let it stay till it dries. Once the paste is all dry, wash off with lukewarm water. This is yet another effective milk remedy that works for most people.
Milk has the ability to draw out the pus from the boils, in a very gentle manner. It will also keep your skin soft and moisturized.
Also read : 9 Home Remedies For Psoriasis
10. A Sprig of Parsley– This widely cultivated Mediterranean spice lends a very authentic flavor to any dish or recipe it is added to. It is rich in vitamin C and K and helps improve immunity and wards off ailments such as diabetes and cancer. If you have a few sprigs of parsley in the back of your refrigerator, it is time you put it to use.
- Boil some parsley leaves in a pot of water.
- Once the leaves have dried, wrap the leaves in a clean cloth.
- Apply this poultice to the boils.
- Let it stay on for about 3 hours at least.
- Repeat it on alternate days.
Parsley has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-oxidant properties that promote faster healing of the boils. Regular application of the poultice will make the pus drain out sooner and curb the infection from spreading.
Must read : 12 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Whiteheads
Remember, not every remedy will work with the same vigor on everyone. Be patient and try a combination of the above-said remedies. They are bound to reduce the pain and discomfort caused by the boils. And, render your skin soft and glowing sans any scars!